Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dad and son: To the woods?










So I took my son camping for the first time this weekend. We had a GREAT time!!! We had a new tent that we are now using for family camping, and I wanted to try it out before we took off as a family to get in some bag nights. So my son and I went to the in-laws farm and spent the night.







I think taking my kids and introducing them to the outdoors (even the safe kind at the farm) is really important. Hopefully as the grow up they will develop an appreciation for the outdoors (in what ever form that takes, albeit I would like for them to hike and backpack... but then again I'm biased on that idea).

Just my opinion: to many kids, and adults for that matter, only see the outside in so far as walking to the car or to the mailbox. They never experience the outdoors or the woods. The hardest, and most rewarding, part of being on the AT or backcountry is the solitude. I have hiked in places where I havn't seen anyone in days, with the only sound being the wind moving the leaves on the trees or small animals as they race away from the path when you pass through. This trip with my son, he and I sat in the tent and watched as lightening flashed far out on the horizon (don't worry, I called my wife and checked to see where the storm was: a little over 30 minutes driving time away). That's one of those life moments that you don't want to pass up. As my son grows, I hope that these times he will cherish and as we grow older, our relationship will deepen.
Anyways...
Supper was hotdogs and trail food: Ramen noodles and hickory smoked tuna (from a sealed pouched). Not bad...not great, but filling.











We still had LOTS of fun!!! He slept all night and keeps asking when are we going camping again. Here's hoping...

1 comment:

newdad24 said...

Awesome blog, dude! One of my favorite memories is hiking with my father. One night, lightning hit very close to our camp. The next morning as we were leaving camp, we found the tree that had been struck. Or maybe I should call it the pile of kindling we saw. The thing had exploded. It's nice to see the awesomeness of the outdoors!